When you think about Christmas, and the weeks leading up to Christmas, what do you think about? Is your first thought “shit, I still gotta get my Christmas shopping done”? Are you stressing about your budget? Are you worried you can’t afford to get your kid that new PlayStation they’ve been whining about? Are the majority of your thoughts related to money and how much you’re going to have to spend?
My first thought when somebody mentions this holiday is “What happened to Christmas?” I thought this was supposed to be about spending time with family and friends…not about resenting the fact that you have to break the bank to buy them sweaters and other meaningless shit.
How ridiculous has holiday shopping become? Black Friday now starts in the middle of the day on Thanksgiving Thursday (which now means 2 holidays are being ruined). It’s to the point now where people literally fight each other in stores to spend money. I’ll repeat that one. People are FIGHTING each other to spend money in stores for this holiday. I picture a room full of department store execs laughing their asses off at this fact while they warm themselves by a fire kindled with stacks of $100 bills. “Cheers to the morons,” they must be saying.
Think about what you really want this holiday to be about. Think about what it SHOULD be about.
I’m going to throw out a couple, rather obvious, ideas at you. Maybe “reminders” would be a better way to put it, since these are all things that you have likely done before, but like most of us, you have probably forgotten about in the midst of your most recent Black Friday fist fight.
- Take trip
- pool some money together with friends/family and rent a cabin.
- jump on a flight to some place warm
- Have a family dinner/movie/game night
- invite people over to help cook. Get some wine going!
- after dessert start up one of your favorite x-mas movies
- throw down some board games or Catch Phrase, charades, Apples to Apples etc.
- Host a themed party
- ugly sweater party (kinda over done, but still fun)
- National Lampoons Christmas Vacation themed party (invented by me)
- get those Cousin Eddy costumes ready!
- Get tickets to a live event.
- there are typically plenty of live events/plays/musicals during this time of year
- local planetariums usually offer a “Christmas Star” show. These are actually really cool.
- Spend the day being active (outside if possible)
- skiing/snowboarding/snowshoeing/ice skating
- get outside build a snowman, chuck a snowball at your least favorite relative
- Take a family sleigh ride
- Get professional family photos done with your family (maybe purposefully wear funny outfits?)
- Drive around looking at Christmas lights
What ever it is you chose to do, please make sure it’s meaningful to you. Don’t let another Christmas slip by with the result being you pissed off and broke. Reevaluate what it is that you want to experience over the holidays and make it happen!
List any additional ideas if you have some!